|Tour Details |
|Duration ||14 Nights |
|Best Time ||Oct - April |
|Routing ||Kolkata - Bhubaneshwar - Gopalpur - Chatikona - Nyamagiri - Jeypore - Onukudeli - Dumdum - Beripara - Kendugada - Lamput - Sankha - Maliguda - Koraput - Khorda - Puri - Konark - Bhubaneshwar - Lalitagiri - Udayagiri - Ratnagiri - Kolkata departure |
Between mountains and broad valleys, Orissa is among the most attractive regions of India. In two weeks, this authentic and colorful journey, will take you through the towns, temples, sandy beaches and numerous tribal villages surrounded by terraced fields. This tour will alternate trips, cultural events and discoveries to altogether different extent. Orissa is the most popular state in India for tribal tour and this trip will give you a chance to explore the authentic India.
DAY 01 :
Arrival Kolkata (Calcutta)
Upon arrival at Kolkata Airport meet to our representative, transfer to hotel and get with your check-in formalities. Once done, take an overnight stay at the hotel.
DAY 02 :
Breakfast at hotel and later commence for a full day sightseeing.
- Visit Flowers Market
- Hugly Bridge
- Howrah Railways station
- BBD Square, GPO, Governor House
- Victoria Memoral,
- Jain Temples
- Mother Teresa's Home
- Kali Temple
- Asia Museum
Rest of the time visit local market at New Market or J N Road. Once done with visiting the places, take a proper sleep at the hotel.
DAY 03 :
Early in the morning board a train to Bhubaneshwar (ETD 0600 ETA 1200 hrs) by Dhauli Express. Upon arrival, meet to our representative and drive to Gopalpura on the Sea,
- En route visit Chilika Lake (Bird Sanctuary)
On arrival at Gopalpura, check in to the hotel, rest of the time stroll through the countryside until sunset.
Overnight at hotel
DAY 04 :
Gopalpur On Sea-Chatikona
- Early in the morning, witness the fishing boats on the vast beach of Gopalpur. After the breakfast at the hotel proceed to the hills of Niyamgiri
- Stop at village Padmanavpur, known for its traditional weaving and Chalakamba, famous for its pottery
- Arrive Chatikona at late afternoon, the camp is located on a platform overlooking the rice fields, adjacent to a temple
- Later visit the temples, and the outlet of the track that descends from the hills inhabited by the tribes of Dongaria Kondh.
With 23% of tribal population and 62 different tribal groups, Orissa is the second Indian state with the largest ethnic minority. After the day's activity, take some time out for relaxation and have an overnight stay at the camp.
DAY 05 :
Breakfast at hotel or camp, later commence for sightseeing
- Visit the village of Kurla (45 min) which is inhabited by tribes of Dongaria Kondh
- Stroll in different villages (4 to 6 hours of walking along the variants) and once done have some rest at the camp in Chatikona
DAY 06 :
Chatikona Market-Jeypore (Wednesday)
After breakfast visit the traditional market of Chatikona.
- From 6 am, a motley crowd descends from the mountains on foot, bicycle, horseback
- Walk in to the camp and the market itself, whose heart is Bissamcutak (30 min walk) Dressed in their finest jewels, the Dongaria Kondh invade the colorful stalls.This gives an opportunity to observe a system of barter between wholesalers from the towns and villages down sellers
- Visit the village Punjapai (via the town of Rayagada)
- Have your lunch under the old mango trees and visit this traditional village inhabited by the tribe of Kuvia Kondh
- Stop again in another village Khalkona i.e. within 1 to 2 hours of walking in the hills cultivated and inhabited by the villagers
- Witness the last shipment of the day which is 2 hrs drives to Jeypore.
On arrival check in to the hotel and by late afternoon, discover the local market.
DAY 07 :
Morning departure (around 5 am) with pack breakfast, to Onukundeli.
- On arrival Onukudelli, see the tribes of Gadaba, Mali, Didai Bonda,
- Vist another Gadaba tribal villages
Later drive back to Onukudelli, to have an overnight stay.
DAY 08 :
Walking Tour Around Dumdum (Friday)
Breakfast at camp site, later commence full day walking tour around Dumdum area
- Morning walk along the river Machkund with the discovery of three traditional villages: Domaniput, Kodaput (inhabited by a tribe of sun worshipers) and Keram
- Take a step, through the beautiful terrace cultures and traditions intact in these remote villages and later drive back to camp site for overnight stay
DAY 09 :
Short transfer (around 30 min) for Bairipara village.
- Inhabited by a tribe Gadaba
- Later continue to Baligaon (2hrs drive). Discover the traditional market, colorful and happening (vegetables and fruit, handicrafts, textiles, cattle fair, etc.) and run by tribes of Bhumia and Duruba
- Once done, proceed to the camp in Kenduguda (30 min). Enjoy the magical moments in night when the Sun is said to be bathed in golden light waves of the tranquil river Kolab.
Take a sound sleep in the camp.
DAY 10 :
Breakfast at Camp, later commence for day's activity
- Walk to Gupteshwar, a small village famous for the Shiva temple
- Further up the road to Lamtaput, walking (1 hour) until camp Sankha
Drive back to camp site for an overnight stay.
DAY 11 :
Breakfast at camping site, transfer (2 hr) for the village of Maliguda,
- Stop at the temple of Jain Subai (sixth century). The inhabitants of this area belong to the tribe of Mali
- Continue to Koraput. Visit the temple of Jagannath
- Later transfer to the station in Koraput. Board the train to Khordha and spend the night in the train
DAY 12 :
Arrival Khordha-Puri (46 Km)
Early in the morning arrival in Khordha. Transfer to the city of Puri (1 hour drive) and on arrival check in to the hotel.
- Rest of the time stroll along the Bay of Bengal and visit the city
- Visit the Jagatnath Temple Puri (outside only), Non-Hindus are not allowed inside the temple
Once done with visiting the places, take an overnight stay at the hotel.
DAY 13 :
Puri-Konark-Bhubaneswar (90 Km)
Breakfast at hotel, later proceed to Bhubaneswar, en route visit
- The "Sun Temple" of Konark major site, classified by UNESCO
- Later transfer to the capital of Orissa, en route visit Pipile and Chausad Yogini Temple
- Arrival Bhuvaneswar, known as the "city of temples". There would be more than a thousand, scattered through the city
- In the afternoon visit the most important Temples of Bhubanswar, including: Lingaraja Temple, Vital Deul Temple, Mukteswara Temple, Brahameswara Temple and Parasurameswara Temple together with Orissa Tribes Museum. Take an overnight stay at the hotel.
DAY 14 :
Latitagiri-Udayagiri & Ratnagiri Excursion
After breakfast full day excursion of
- Lalitgiri magnificent remnant of one of the first Buddhist university
- Udayagiri & Kandagiri, the Buddhist cave
- Ratnagiri, which also housed a large monastic complex
Once done, back in the afternoon to Bhubaneswar and have an overnight stay at the hotel.
DAY 15 :
Morning free for individual activities, later transfer to airport and board the flight to Kolkata. On arrival at Kolkata, meet to our assistance and transfer to the city. Later, in time departure transfer to International Airport.